Friday, July 9, 2010

Miracles

I have a younger cousin named Miles who was born a month or more early. The gray matter in his brain wasn't (and still isn't) completely developed. As you may know, brain cells cannot be regrown after the child has left the mother's womb. They told us that he'd never walk or talk. They spouted off names of scary disorders and diseases: cerebral palsy, dystrophy, severe mental retardation. 
I love his name. At first, I loved it because I started calling him Smiles, which was a nickname that no one else had thought of before I had mentioned it. Then I began to realize how much of a walking miracle that child really is. Now I love his name because it's almost a pun. He's come miles and miles further than they ever thought imaginable. There's a sign hanging up in my aunt's kitchen that says "Expect Miracles". Collectively, as a family, we've learned how to.
Recently, my paternal grandparents have been having health problems. From hips to hearts and other things that just can't be helped, they aren't doing too fabulously. My grandfather, especially. But lately, Miles has been 'stuck' on my Papa. Miles is a repeater. He'll say a name over and over until he gets that respective person's attention or whatever it is that he wants. From the moment he gets up, between asking for juice or to watch Mickey Mouse, he drones on: "Pa-pa! Pa-pa! Pa-pa! Pa-pa! Pa-pa! Pa-pa! Pa-pa! Pa-pa!" for most of the day.
As I lay in bed last night, beside my cousin Ena who had slept over, I couldn't sleep. I texted people until they all fell asleep (or until I lost service). I thought about college, about the future. I thought about my job. I calculated the number of hours and minutes until my next shift starts. I even thought about yearbook and senior year. Nothing was helping and I really didn't want to sleep too late the next morning. So I started praying. I prayed for everything and everyone I could think of. I prayed for Papa; I prayed for Baba. I prayed for my parents, my brother, my best friends. When I got around to praying for Miles, I thanked God for his life. I thanked God that he had taught my family to 'expect miracles'. I prayed that God would use Miles' sweet, innocent nature to cheer up my grandparents through this time. Then I remembered what my Aunt Christine, Miles' mother, had said earlier that evening when she had eaten dinner with us. She spoke about Miles talking about Papa all day, then coming straight in to see him. Papa had piped up then, saying, "He came and sat in my lap for, oh, seventeen seconds." But to Miles, seventeen seconds is a long time. That was Miles' way of showing Papa that he cares, that he's thinking of him. 
Our little miracle is drawn to my Papa, someone who just might need a miracles a few months down the road. Sure, it may just be a phase. Kids go through those; they want one specific person for some specific reason. But what if Miles trying to tell us something? He may not me hinting that another miracle in on the way, per se. He might just be trying to remind us that there's hope in Papa's situation too. Miracles aren't just for the young. We relied so heavily on God when Miles was born and we had never met the child. (His mother's state of health was dwindling too, but still.) Why wouldn't we still rely on Him when there are 67 years of living behind someone else?

Later Days
Peace
H

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this post Hayles and think Miles is absolutely adorable. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family...

WV: undeer

Unknown said...

this is beautiful.
prayers to your family.