Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy 4th

The Fourth of July. It's supposed to be about fireworks, hot dogs, watermelon. But what makes a GOOD Independence Day? Is it eating until you can't move? Laughing at the people racing to see who can scarf down a slice of watermelon quickest?
Or is it about celebrating the freedom we have to do such things? Relishing the fact that we live in a land of immense opportunity?
In that case, it shouldn't how many hot dogs we can eat. It shouldn't matter how awful or fabulous the fireworks are.
In noticing this, it's arguable that this Fourth of July was one of the best. I had to work for four hours. Then I watched several episodes of NCIS with my aunt. We ordered pizza and were about to sit down to eat it when we heard a big boom. We went outside to find that the neighbors were setting off fireworks. From then on, the evening was full of neighbors and close-range colorful explosives. Isn't that the way it should be? Relaxing and thoughtful?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I must agree. Though this 4th of July I DID eat until I could eat no more, I mainly just hung out with my family. The relaxing nature of this 4th made it one the best I've had in a while. :-)

wv: malinas